Sunday 8 January 2012

Random musings 2012

Another 12 months have gone past, in the manner of months since time began. And it's time for the annual random music post. Yes - we have been here before. In fact, this is the fifth year - which is practically forever in Internet Years. I know. I'm practically a sodding tradition, aren't I?

What do you need to do? It's really easy. Get hold of your iPod or other music playing device. Hit the 'Shuffle' button. Then tell us about the first five that come along. It's as simple as that. And no cheating - of something embarrassing comes along, you can't just hit 'next' until you get a cooler track.

Ok. Here goes for nothing.

1: Queen - Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy

It is a universal rule, or even a Universal Rule, that everyone has a copy of Queen's Greatest Hits somewhere in their collection. Even if you don't like Queen, you're going to have it. Don't fight it. There are tribesmen out in the Amazon rainforest who have never met people from the 'civilised' world, and even they know all the words to Another One Bites the Dust. And what about this particular track? Well. Looking back at it I just wonder how we never guessed the obvious about F. Mercury, Esq.

2: The Selecter - James Bond

Because no-one's record collection is complete without a Ska version of the James Bond theme tune, is it? Formed just up the road from me in Coventry, the Selecter were described as 'conspiring to make dancing the only way to walk'. Clearly they'd never seen me dancing.

3: Turin Brakes - Full of Stars

This track is from an album called Ether Song which I loved more than was actually healthy when it came out. Sun-dappled melodies, laid back vocals. Just marvellous. What's that? You've never heard of them? Take this as a gift from your Uncle Phil - go and check them out. No, put down that forkful of breakfast - you don't have time - do it now.

4: Kings of Leon - Birthday

Oh, you crazy Followill brothers. How you entranced us with your early blend of Southern rock and blues. A grittiness and soulful approach. Something new, yet harking back to simpler times. Then someone let you into an arena and showed you the reverb pedal. It all went downhill from there.

5: The Who - Baba O'Riley

Ace. I could have stumbled across any track from the Who's Next album and it would have been spot on. This is the opener, syncopated synths at the start and whirling dervish gypsy violins at the end. Mind you, I can't listen to it without thinking of the question I once had from a friend: "Who was this Barbara O'Riley anyway?"

Now it's your turn. Get shuffling and put your results in the comments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Wallflowers ~ One Headlight
Whatever happened to Jakob Dylan? I loved their initial offering but I haven't heard much from them since. I know that they have released a couple of other albums but nothing ever came of them.

Louis Armstrong ~ When You're Smiling
Because who doesn't like a little Satchmo?

Count Basie ~ Jumping at the Woodside
Simply classic swing. It seems odd that I would have that much swing coming up but there are worse things.

Chick Corea ~ Make a Wish, Part 2
Electronic Jazz with the best drummer in the world. Dave Weckl.

Demon Hunter ~ Tie This Around Your Neck
Because I can't go very long without having a little hard core heavy metal in my playlist. This is a new one from them and my son introduced me to it.

In the new year I intend to buy more Irish rock. This is a good thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails