Tuesday 30 November 2010

Hinterland

Most people come with a hinterland. That mixture of achievement, experience and other backstory that comes as a surprise when you find out about it.  That's if you ever do, of course. More often than not, it remains hidden. Perhaps it's modesty, perhaps it's protection, maybe it's something in-between. But we can never know everything about everyone.

This was brought home to me when I read a newspaper article about a friend following their sudden death last month. The article itself was a surprise - I didn't think I knew anyone whose passing would prompt newsprint. But on reading the piece, it became apparent that there was a lot I didn't know about G.

I knew that he was an entertaining character. Any occasion would be made complete by G's involvement. His waspish - often outrageous - sense of humour and speed of thought made conversations a delight. I knew that he was passionate about theatre. In fact, that's how I first met him, many years ago when he was directing me and others as we attempted to avoid murdering Hobson's Choice.

What I didn't know was that his parents had lined the young G up for the priesthood, but he'd decided against it at the age of 12. I didn't know that he'd trained as a Samaritan and then gone on to train countless other volunteers. I was unaware that he'd worked for a number of years to help people struggling with alcohol abuse, actually setting up two local bodies. He'd made a massive difference to the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of others. But it was not in G's nature to boast.

So as a result, I knew G as a warm and witty man. But there was a huge backstory and it's perhaps to my regret that I never knew any of this until now.

Take a look at the people around you. Do they have a hinterland, do you think?

-0-

And with that, it's the end of NaBloPoMo 2010 - one month of writing and posting once per day. It's the fourth year I've managed it. I hope you've enjoyed the rather random things you've read here this month. 

Outside of November, I normally try to put something up here a couple of times a week, so please come back for more (or less) of the same. I'll probably take a break for a day or so now but I'll be back before we all know it.

This year for the first time, a lot more people who know me in what is apparently called 'The Real World' have started reading this blog.

Hello. Now you've seen a little of my hinterland, I suppose.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails